April 17, 2020
Dear Residents and Family Members:
Thanks to our ongoing partnership with the Henrico Health Department, we were able to speed up the testing process for our residents in the Healthcare Center. As we expected, the number of positive test results in the Healthcare Center has increased. As of today, we have a total of 38 residents in our Healthcare Center who have tested positive. As we stated yesterday, the testing enables us to identify how we need to cohort our residents. All residents in the Healthcare Center will remain in isolation in their respective rooms. As we noted before, that facility has a dedicated staff that only works in that facility.
We want to stress that only the Healthcare Center has confirmed COVID-19 cases. There are no cases in any of our other buildings.
We have also received feedback regarding how we communicate during this challenging time which includes the following:
- Beth Sholom will be as transparent as possible without violating any HIPAA related guidelines or family wishes.
- If a resident is showing symptoms, they will immediately be tested. The results will be shared
with the resident and appropriate family member.
- We have processes in place where families can call our staff for updates on their loved ones.
We also have an end-of-life process that allows families to be with their loved ones during that important time.
- We will share appropriate information regarding the number of COVID-19 related cases at our facility but not the conditions of the patients. In some cases, those figures will be in general terms given the fluid nature of the testing process.
- Our first priority is to share information with our residents, their families and our staff.
- All of our updates to families will be posted on our website. We will do our best to be as consistent as possible.
Beth Sholom does not share information regarding the death of any of our residents. Unfortunately, senior living facilities all across the country experience the loss of life on a regular basis. Many of our residents are in fragile health before arriving at our facilities, especially our nursing home. We do not share those details to the general public and we are not going to start now. While it is important for our families to know about the number of COVID-19 cases in our facility, we see the loss of life as a sacred and family matter that is private. Regulations do require that we report that information to the appropriate authorities. Anyone who would like more information regarding the number of COVID-19 related fatalities can visit the Virginia Department of Health website.
We remain confident that Beth Sholom has the staff and necessary protective equipment to properly care for our residents. We also have the strong support of the Henrico County Health Department which we deeply appreciate. While we are currently experiencing the dark days of this pandemic in Virginia, we continue to do all we can to provide comfort to our families and residents during these difficult days.
To stay informed, please continue to check our phone line and website for updates, www.bethsholomliving.org .
If you would like to receive updates by email, contact us at email@example.com and provide your name, the name of your loved one and the building where they reside.
Please be safe and follow the CDC guidance of social distancing, frequent handwashing and self-isolation.
Morris S. Funk
President and Chief Executive Officer